Register for AppState ALERT
"MUST KNOW" EMERGENCY INFO
When the University issues an emergency alert in response to a hazard, threat, or actual incident, everyone must know what the emergency conditions mean and basic emergency responses.
Emergency messages sent to registered cell phone numbers will display a Caller ID of "828-262-8106." The body of a text message will also contain the verbiage "AlertNow Message."
If a text message is filed in your Inbox, it may be identified by the SMS Operator ID number "556-29."How much does APPSTATE-ALERT cost?
Appalachian State University does not charge for participation in APPSTATE-ALERT. However, if you choose to receive emergency notifications via text and/or voice messaging, you agree to incur any applicable costs from your carrier for receiving these messages.How does APPSTATE-ALERT protect my privacy?
All cell phone numbers that are registered with APPSTATE-ALERT for emergency notification purposes are confidential. For employees (including faculty, staff, and administrators), they are protected by the State Personnel Act; for students, they are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA"). The contract with Saf-T-Net (aka AlertNow), the entity that provides the notification system, specifies that the cell phone numbers are confidential and will be protected as such.
In addition, cell phone numbers registered with APPSTATE-ALERT will be used solely for the purpose of emergency notification. Appalachian will only send emergency notification messages when an emergency exists that is considered an "imminent threat." An "imminent threat" is defined as a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the life safety of the campus community.How can I register for APPSTATE-ALERT text and/or voice messaging?
Registering your cell phone numbers with APPSTATE-ALERT is quick and easy. Just update your Emergency Contacts in Banner Self Service. (This system is also available within AppalNET.)
Registering your cell phone numbers with APPSTATE-ALERT (the Appalachian State University 24/7 emergency messaging system) is quick and easy. Just update your Emergency Contacts in Banner Self Service. (This system is also available within AppalNET.)
Note: If you choose to receive emergency notifications via text and/or voice messaging, you agree to incur any applicable costs from your carrier for receiving these messages.
Note: Registered cell phone numbers should become active in the APPSTATE-ALERT system within one (1) business day of completion of the below registration steps.When does the registration take effect?
Once you register in Banner Self Service or AppalNET, the number is uploaded to the alert system wthe next day at 5 a.m. Eastern time. For instance, if you register using Banner Self Service at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, the number will not be uploaded unitl 5 a.m. on Wednesday. You will not recieve emergency messages until your number is uploaded.
Secondly, since your number is tied to your Banner Self Service account, the registration is not finalized until your account is "active", which means you are enrolled in a class and classes have started. If you are planning to attend Appalachian but have not yet started classes, your number will not be active in the alert system.
You only have to register once. If you register your freshman year, your number will stay active as long as you are affiliated with the University. No need to register every academic year unless your number changes.Step-by-Step Instructions
Please follow these instructions. For your convenience, all links will open in a new browser window.
1. Go to Banner Self Service.
2. Login using your Banner username and password.
3. Click "Personal Information."
4. Click "Emergency Contacts."
5. Your current Emergency Contacts (if any) will be listed. Emergency contacts used for APPSTATE-ALERT will be listed with a "Contact Type" of either "Emergency Cell-Voice" or "Emergency Cell-Text" - "Emergency Cell-Voice" being the cell phone number at which you wish to receive emergency notifications as voice messages and "Emergency Cell-Text" being the cell phone number at which you wish to receive emergency notifications as text messages. You are encouraged to have both an "Emergency Cell-Voice" contact and an "Emergency Cell-Text" contact. They may both use the same cell phone number. Please note that both of these cell phone numbers should be YOUR cell phone numbers where YOU can be reached in case of a campus emergency. They should not be the numbers of family or friends.
6. If you wish to modify or remove an existing contact, click the Name associated with that contact. If you wish to add a contact, click "New Contact."
7. On the Update Emergency Contacts page, enter the following information:
- Remove Contact - If you wish to remove this contact, check this box and proceed to step 8. below. Otherwise, leave this box unchecked.
- Contact Type - Select "Emergency Cell-Voice" or "Emergency Cell-Text", whichever is applicable for the contact you are entering. (Note: Any cell phone number entered as "Emergency Cell-Text" will also automatically receive voice messages if emergency voice messages are sent.)
- First Name - Enter your first name.
- Last Name - Enter your last name.
- Area Code - Enter the three-digit area code of the cell phone number you are adding.
- Phone Number - Enter the remaining seven digits of the ten-digit cell phone number. DO NOT use hyphens or spaces when entering the phone number.
Please note that cell phones do not normally use extensions, therefore the Extension field should be left blank. The remaining information on the Update Emergency Contacts page is optional, and does not need to be filled out to register with APPSTATE-ALERT.
8. Click "Submit Changes" when finished.
9. Review your Emergency Contacts for accuracy. If you wish to modify, remove, or add additional contacts, return to step 6. above and continue as necessary. Please have BOTH an "Emergency Cell-Text" contact AND an "Emergency Cell-Voice" contact. They may both use the same cell phone number.
Note: Registered cell phone numbers should become active in the APPSTATE-ALERT system within one (1) business day of completion of the above registration steps.